Tuesday, May 24, 2011

That's Lucky

I think my book sensing radar is off.  I read a lot.  Part of it is because i'm in grad school and that's just what you do in grad school and part of it is I just love reading-always have.  So I normally feel pretty confident that when I pick up a book I have a good idea of what it's about.  Well I've been dead wrong for two days in a row now.  Susan Patron's The HIgher Power of Lucky was my second downfall.  What I expected to be a mystical exploration of luck was actually the life of a young girl named Lucky.

Lucky lives in the desert, at setting so foreign to me yet so well described I felt hot as I read, with her guardian Bridgette.  Not only is Bridgette and Lucky's relationship a fresh take on the caretaker-child relationship the story of how they came to be together is just delightful (don't worry no spoilers here). In fact all of the relationships in this book are just a little quirky but in a whimsical childlike way.  It creates a book that you just feel happy reading.

My favorite part of the book was Lucky herself.  She is a spunky, independent, quirky girl with a soaring imagination and a reason for everything.  Through Lucky the accomplishments of children are highlighted.  She shares about her friend 5 year old Miles, "Miles had done a thorough cookie-availability check with everyone in town at one time or another.  He was an expert on who had what kind of cookies, who would give him one, and where they stored them. He made his cookie rounds everyday" (28). That is a ton of knowledge for a kindergartener to have, and I'm sure the cookie knowledge was more important to Miles than something trivial like shapes.

Lucky lives her life with the certainty and independence of a grown-up but the reasoning and priorities of a child.  This makes for a superb character and a whimsical read.  But don't be mislead this book has heart and this book has meaning.  It is all about Lucky's quest for permanence and love. This is not portrayed in a heavy overdramatic way, but through a charming narrative about Lucky, her guardian, and the small, population 43, town of Hard Pan.

Seeking out love and living with independence...that's kids stuff.

P.S.  Miles (the five year old) carries his favorite book with him at all times.  This book: Are you my mother?.  What a great choice.  Mile's favorite part is with snort.  Whats yours? 

No comments:

Post a Comment