Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Book One: The Midwife's Apprentice

So last night things were a little slow at work BUT thats ok because far from being bored I was able to finish my first book Karen Cushman's The Midwife's Apprentice. The first thing I noticed was that Cushman had also written one of my favorite books from when I was younger, Catherine, Called Birdy.  I was immediately more excited to read this book.  Like in Catherine, Called Birdy, The Midwife's Apprentice offers fascinating glimpses into a past lifestyle much different than our own.  One of my history professors in college always used to say, "the past is a foreign country, they do things differently there.' (He has a blog check it out here).

 Let me give you some of my favorite glimpses into the past from The Midwife's Apprentice. "She discovered that an eggshell full of the juice of leeks and mallows will make a labor quicker, that rubbing the mothers belly wiht the blood of a crane can make it easier, that birthwort roots and flowers can strengthen contractions in a reluctant mother, and that, if all else fails, the midwife can shout into the birth passage, "infant come forward!" (61).  Can you imagine giving birth when those were your treatment options?

The Midwife's Apprentice chronicles the life of Brat, later known as Beetle, and eventually taking the name Alyce.  It is not just the story of a street girl taken in and taught a marketable skill, but also the story of a young girl overcoming her doubts and developing a sense of purpose.  One of my favorite parts of the book were the examples of small kindness. I think oftentimes we try to be Mother Teresa when really it is those small random acts of kindness, that we may not even notice, that can make the biggest impact.  For example Beetle goes to the market to pick up supplies for the midwife.  There one of the merchants gives her a comb she has been admiring with a wink and a compliment on her curls.  "The wink and the comment about her curls, though Beetle didn't know it, were also gifts from the generous merchant, and they nestled into Beetle's heart and stayed there" (30).  What power words have.  I find I love receiving compliments but struggle when it comes to giving them.  Today's challenge is to be more courageous with compliments.

I also loved the depth given to the character of Brat/Beetle/Alyce.  As a street child she often feels stupid and worthless yet when sharing a meal with her friend Edward, "Alyce gave him her bread, which is what Edward wanted and Alyce intended all along" (100).  A stupid, worthless girl would not know to share and to care for others.  Alyce is a beautiful example of a kind spirit trapped in a hard world.

While I was at  work last night I was privileged ot overhear a great conversation. We teach 30-50 students every night at the store so there are often kids wandering through the store.  One young boy struck up a conversation with one of our older male employees.  "When did you get your first pocketknife?" the boy asked (state college is a rural area and so the first pocketknife is coveted by all young boys). "Was it when you were a kid?" the boy pressed.  "I still am a kid" said my co-worker.  Seeing the look of confusion on the boys face he continued, "I''m just a big kid."  "Is that why you have a job?" asked the boy, "because you're a big kid?"  Who would've thought...having a job, that's kids stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment