Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Oops

We all have them...those oops moments-moments where we know immediately we messed up and it's bad.  Ugh, I hate those moments.  There's that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach, helplessness knowing you can't change what just happened, and that fleeting (or if it's a big oops lingering) feeling of panic.  What will you do now?


Linda Sue Park's A Single Shard answers the question, "what will you do now?"  The orphaned Tree-Ear spends his time watching the potter Min work.  Eventually he is caught but through some clever talking Tree-Ear is allowed to become Min's assistant.  He works until his hands bleed-What will he do now?  He is challenged by a journey-what will he do now?  He has a big oops moment-What will he do now?

Some of my family members are potters by hobby.  I remember when I was younger I had a toy pottery wheel and I couldn't even make bowls out of that.  I would look at the pieces they had made and wonder how they had gotten them so perfect?  Then I remembered it took years and years of practice to train my hands to play piano beautifully; why should it not take years to learn how to make beautiful pottery? 

Even though the descriptions of the pottery in the book are splendidly done, I wanted to see if my mental picture matched the work itself.  Through the wonders of the internet I was able to find an example of the Korean inlaid pottery described in the book. 
Thousand Cranes Vase
                                                              
If I understand correctly the vase is formed from regular clay (it is the glaze that gives it that green color-read the book to find out more, the glaze is difficult to perfect) and then where you see the white is where the design has been hollowed out and colored slip has been inserted or inlaid to create the pattern.  Getting all of the pieces exactly right requires a master potter. 

Tree-Ear was a street urchin.  He lived under a bridge with his friend, informal guardian, and mentor Crane-man.  Crane-man gives Tree-ear this advice, "Scholars read the great words of the world.  But you and I must learn to read the world itself."  What a statement on childhood.  Learning all about the world, how it works, and what your role in it is...that's kids stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment