Tuesday, May 31, 2011

LOL

I've talked a little bit before about how interesting it is to see what people remember about books.  The little details that stick out and stay with you however different they may be from the main message of the book.  I had read Avi's Crispin the Cross of Lead once before when I was in college.  It was one of those books that I just tore through as a stress reliever after a fight with my roommates during finals week.  So though I remember enjoying it at the time I didn't remember much else about it so I decided to read it again.

Even though the book is young Crispin's quest to find his identity and a place to belong, the lines that stuck out to me were not the ones where Crispin kept going, despite fear of discovery, despite hunger, despite being lost and alone he kept going-even though this is what makes the book such a grand tale and delight to read.  What stuck out to me was this scene.  During his travels Crispin meets up with a traveling juggler named Bear.  Bear says to Crispin, "Don't you ever smile, boy" he demanded, "If you can't laugh and smile life is worthless."  How true that is.  I read somewhere that if you are feeling down but force yourself to smile you will start to feel better just by smiling.  Try that next time you feel glum and see if it works for you.

This book is set in fourteenth century medieval England.  The setting is beautifully described and most of the time I was immersed in the story seeing things as Crispin saw them.  Except for when he was in peril and trying desperately to warn Bear of the impending danger.  But Bear has gone to meet with some mysterious people and Crispin is supposed to stay in hiding.  As Crispin is sneaking out to find Bear I kept thinking, "just send a text."  What problems could have been solved in this tale through the marvels of modern technology.  But then it wouldn't really have been that fun to read now would it? Bear walked alway, Crispin saw the danger so he sent Bear a text and Bear came home safe.  Yeah, not that exciting. 

Not giving up and completing your quest no matter what the danger-but always remembering to laugh...that's kids stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment