Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Creatures, Cyborgs and Cinderella

I will be the first to admit I love a good fairy tale.  I love the originals (graphic as some may be), I love the "prettied up" versions we tell children today, I love the Disney versions and the musicals.  So it's no surprise that I love the new trend of remaking fairy tales.

My favorite type of spin off is when sci-fi elements are added to the fairy tales.  Not only does it challenge the stereotype that girls are only interested in pretty dresses and prince charming but it makes for an awesome story.  Marissa Meyer's Cinder is one of these remakes.

Cinder is a cyborg (a human with a computer enhanced brain and mechanical parts-typically this is a human who has suffered catastrophic injuries) and a very talented and sought after mechanic.  Her parents has died and she lives with her stepmother and two stepsisters who treat her as little more than a servant (sound familiar).   Things really get interesting when the prince comes to Cinder and asks her to repair his android (essentially robots-read the book to really understand them).  The information on this android could change everything.

As you can guess there is a ball but that is not where the story ends.  In face, I'm not sure where the story ends because Cinder is the first in a series.  Each new book in the series introduces a new character who will probably remind you of a well known fairy tale.  Scarlet may have something to do with a certain girl in a certain cloak of a certain color who may or may not encounter a wolf.  Cress has more hair than she knows what to do with and may or may not be trapped in a "tower."

I am halfway through Cress and I cannot WAIT to see how the story turns out.

Beating the stereotype...that's kids stuff. 

PS Like what you're reading.  Share it on Twitter, Pinterest, or Facebook and be sure to Follow Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment