Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Calamitous Misadventure

I typically don't put much stock into the reviews printed on the back cover of a book.  Years of reading has taught me exactly which kind of books I will like and it doesn't much matter what the reviewer had to say about it.  In fact, we (myself, my co-teacher, and the librarian) did a lesson on how to choose a book with my class at the beginning of the year and not a single 8th grader mentioned that they read the reviews.  That being said I loved that Adam Rex described today's book as "A lyrical and calamitous misadventure, and who doesn't like that sort of thing?"

The book is Amy Timberlake's One Came Home.  With the very intriguing subtitle of "A sister lost. A body found. The truth buried."  To be honest I was having a very hard time figuring out how to describe this book-good thing Adam Rex summed it up perfectly.

One Came Home is the story of straight talkin' and sharp shootin' Georgie as she searches for her missing, and presumed dead, sister. But it's really about so much more than that.  It is in the truest sense a "lyrical and calamitous misadventure."  I will admit it was hard to get into but once it got started I couldn't put it down.  I just had to know how everything turned out.

This was one of those books that takes you to a different world.  When you read it you forget about reality and are totally immersed in Georgie's world.

Fighting for family...that's kids stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment