Friday, November 7, 2014

These Crazy Kids

One of the things I try to do is read the books I see a lot of my students reading.  Especially those books they keep reading as I'm trying to teach.  You know, when the put the book under their desk and think that I don't notice.  Secretly, I love that they have found a book they just can't put down and I make a mental note to read that book later.  Of course as the teacher I have to say something like, "It's time to put that away and focus on the lesson."

Buddy by M.H. Herlong was one of these books.  I must admit that I was guilty of starting class a
minute late because I couldn't put the book down.

When I was little my brother begged and begged for a dog.  Every project he did at school revolved around why he should get a dog until finally his teacher called home and said, "please get that boy a dog."  Li'l T puts that kind of effort into getting and caring for a dog, even though his family doesn't think they can afford one.  Li'l T does every odd job imaginable to raise money for Buddy.

Li'l T and his family live in New Orleans and once Buddy joins the family he and Li'l T are inseparable.  That is until Hurricane Katrina strikes and not everyone can fit in the car.  I can't sugar coat it for you, that part was heart-wrenching.  At the risk of giving too much away I can say I was satisfied with the ending.

This is a beautiful tale of an adolescent who maneuvers his way to adulthood with the help of his ever faithful dog Buddy.  I know that sounds sappy and I assure you this book isn't sappy (many of the boys I teach wouldn't have read it if it was).  It is powerful and really grabs you at an emotional level..ugh, that still sounds sappy.  Just read the book and you'll see what I mean.

Doing whatever it takes to get your dog...that's kids stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment