Saturday, November 29, 2014

The Most Wonderful Place on Earth

I just finished the most wonderful book. I mean literally, just, finished it.  I read the last page, gave that bittersweet sigh you give when you finish a truly fantastic book (you're happy because it was a great read, but sad because it's over), and thought, "I have to share this book."

What is this book, you ask.  It's Chris Grabenstein's Escape From Mr. Lemoncello's Library.  Think Willy Wonka made a library.  Mr. Lemoncello's library has got to be one of the coolest places ever described.  Part of me wishes this book is made into a hit movie and someone makes a theme park out of the library so I at least have a chance of experiencing just a small taste of what this library is like.
 

And now I'm torn.  There are so many simply spectacular things I want to tell you about this book, but part of the joy in reading this book is discovering all of the hidden secrets.   Suffice it to say a successful game maker (of both board games and video games) decides to use some of his enormous fortune to build a library unlike any other.  Yes, there are games there-but even better visiting the library is a game within itself.

One final teeny tiny spoiler.  This book references tons of other books-be on the lookout!  Sometimes it's the title, other times a famous line or character.  The edition I read has a list of all the books in the back (formatted as a checklist-and you know how much I love reading all the books on a list...).

Realizing how amazing a library can be...that's kids stuff.  

P.S.  I realized I didn't tell you anything about the characters-as you might guess based on my glowing reviews-they are wonderful.  My favorite is Sierra-she reminds me of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment