Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Getting your Fix

I teach reading and as part of that I try to read the books that my students are reading.  I also make a concerted effort to read a variety of genres so that I have plenty of things to recommend.  That being said, I definitely have a favorite "type."  Something that when I need to "get my fix" I go to.  For me, my type of book usually features a dystopian or fantastical society, a young hero or heroine, and some new world they are finding (Think Harry Potter; The Giver; Divergent, etc.).  Also these books tend to be part of a series.  

This week is conference week at my school.  Unfortunately, as students get older not as many parents come to conferences which means here in 8th grade I have a lot of free time during conferences.  This was a perfect opportunity for me to get my fix.  Jeannie DuPrau's The City of Ember, hit all of the criteria to be my type of book.  

Bonus-this book is also a movie
Lina Mayfleet, the main character, has just turned 12 and is given her assignment.  But things are not as rosy as the Mayor of Ember makes them out to be.  Blackouts are occurring with more and more frequency and supplies are running low.  Lina and her friend Doon seem to be the only people who feel this is cause for alarm.  Since I've already told you I like books with a young hero/heroine you can probably guess that they end up saving the day.  But how they save the day I'll leave for you to discover.  

One of the reviews on the back of the book describes it as, "science fiction for those who do not like science fiction."  This is absolutely true and probably the reason I liked this book but didn't love it.  I'm missing that fantasy element, but for a student who prefers more realistic fiction this is a perfect book.  And don't get me wrong, I did really enjoy this book and I will definitely be checking out the rest of the series. 

Getting your fix...that's kids stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment