Monday, September 8, 2014

It's Magic

How do you even begin to describe a book that defined most of your childhood?  A series where you anxiously awaited each new release and got every new book the day it came out even if it meant waiting in line for hours?  A story that you love so much you take the time to re-read it every summer? It's magic.  That kind of book lets you enter a whole new world.  When you're reading it you are completely enveloped in the story and you lose track of reality.  As one of my students said the other day, you go to "bookworld."

For me that book (or in this case books) was the Harry Potter series.  J.K. Rowling's popular series is beloved by many and I am no exception.  I was 10 when I read the first book and I remember hoping against hope that an owl would swoop up to my window and I would get my letter inviting me to Hogwarts.  I had always loved reading, but this was the first series that captivated me, the first series where I stayed up through the night just to finish the book.  The first book where I completely forgot my own reality and was completely engrossed in the wizarding world. The first book that inspired me to make up my own stories in that world.  The first book where I physically shed tears over the death of a character. 

Normally I give a quick description of the book, but I'm not going to do that here.  The smashing success of both the books and movies mean that many of you probably already know the story.  And if you don't-even better.  I want you to experience that same wonder that I felt when I first read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.  Every single book in this series is fantastic.  Though it is written for young adults any reader can appreciate the story and the themes go deep resonating even with the oldest, wisest adult.  I cannot recommend these books enough.
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
 
 
Waiting for your owl to come....That's Kids Stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment