Thursday, September 11, 2014

Favorites

One question I get asked a lot is, "so, what's your favorite book?"  Sometimes I brush it off with, "That question is impossible to answer" or "well it depends on my mood."  But if I'm really honest with myself I do have a favorite.  If you read my last post you probably think my favorite is Harry Potter.  While I do love those books they don't quite get the favorite spot.  My absolute most favorite book of all time is............The Giver by Lois Lowry.  Other people think it's pretty spectacular as well because it won the Newbery Medal (which puts Lois Lowry in the exclusive club of authors who have won more than one medal).  Also it is now a major motion picture (which is not anywhere near as good as the book but is a pretty good movie in it's own right). 

This society has decided to make the move to sameness.  Your childhood years are marked by certain rituals, at 1 you  moved from the nurturing center to live with your family, at 9 you get your bicycle, and at 12 you are given your assignment.  Your assignment is like your career and the handing out of assignments is the culmination of the ceremony that marks each years changes.  The ceremony proceeds like normal until the chief elder skips Jonas.  She reveals that Jonas has not been assigned he has been "selected."  After that Jonas' life is forever changed.  To see how he responds to "sameness' you'll have to read the book. 

My copy is signed!!!
To make it even better Lowry has rounded out the story in the next three books, Gathering Blue, Messenger, and Son. I can honestly say I have never been more satisfied with an ending than with this series.  While Harry Potter offered a lot of firsts, The Giver was the first book that really made me think.  Perhaps that's why it's my favorite. 

Picking favorites.........that's kids stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment