Monday, September 15, 2014

Birthdays!

Today is my birthday!! Hooray!  One of the ways I like to celebrate is by treating myself. This year I treated myself to some new books on kindle.  I don't love reading from a tablet, I much prefer an actual paper book; however, I do love seeing an intriguing preview at the movies followed by the words, "based on the best selling novel" and being able to own that book almost instantly. 

That is exactly how I came to own the Maze Runner trilogy.  James Dashner has written an action packed trilogy: The Maze Runner, The Scorch Trials, and The Death Cure.  There is also a prequel (which I confess I have not yet read) called The Kill Order.  This is another series set in a post-apocalyptic world, but what this series has that the others don't is mystery.  In The Hunger Games or Divergent we understand the rules of this society.  In The Maze Runner people are dropped into a compound surrounded by a maze (which is full of terrifying monsters), but their memories have been modified so they have no idea where they are or how they got there.  As the reader, you get to try to figure it all out right along with the characters.

I must admit I was exhausted at the end of the first book, this book is action packed-heavy on the action.  But as soon as I finished the first one I went straight to the Kindle Store and bought the next two (another Kindle feature that is both awesome and dangerous).  I had to figure out how this series ended!  Also the second two books were just as full of action and suspense, I did not feel let down the way you sometimes can when reading later books in a series.  This series was definitely a treat worth buying!

Treating yourself.......that's kids stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment