Sunday, August 28, 2011

I've Read That Like Twice

  Oh vacation, you seem like such a distant memory. A mere four weeks ago I was here with my family.


Unfortunately this week of vaca was a little cold and cloudy but on the 2-3 nice days you could find many of us down at the dock.  The little kids would be in the water and the bigger kids would be sunbathing on the dock (or occasionally dragged into the water by one of the little kids-who can resist a three year old saying 'please swim with me').  Of course, I would be there with my book in hand.  One day I walked down with Robert C. O'Brien's Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. My ten year old cousin Jonathan says, "hey i've read that like twice!"  "That's great," I say, "what did you think?"  "It's really good," he answers.  "Wait, why are you reading it?"  

I explained how I was reading all of the Newbery Medal books and he seemed satisfied with that answer.  Then he said, "well you definitely should read that one because it's good."  After having read the book I can agree with Jonathan, you definitely should read this one because it's good.  You know how some books from childhood are just beloved...I think this is one of those.  I didn't read it in school but pretty much everyone else I talk to has.  And they should have, this book is really good. 
This book has a dynamic cast of characters, surprising twists and turns, turmoil and resolution, humor, friendship, and adventure.  Are you starting to see why this is such a good book? Mrs. Frisby's son is sick and therefore cannot handle the stress and exposure to the elements caused by moving day.  But if the Frisby's don't move their house will be overturned by the farmer's plow.  What to do? What to do? Well that's where the rats of NIMH come in.  Do they know what to do? Of course I'm not going to tell you. No spoilers in this blog.  

This book has a story that sucks you in.  It's a book you don't want to put down, a book where you can't wait to see how it all turns out.  It's a book that's good enough to read again and again. 

Reading it twice...that's kids stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment