Friday, August 26, 2011

The Boy Who...

Sorry Harry Potter fans (myself included), this post is not about the boy who lived.  Armstrong Sperry's Call it Courage is "the story of Matatu, the boy who was afraid."  Wait...a book whose title says, "call it courage" is about a boy who was afraid.  I don't get it.

Just kidding, actually I do get it- but that's because I read the book.  This next statement is a little bit of a spoiler but I already pretty much gave this away by juxtaposing that particular quote against the title. This is the story of Matatu, the boy who was afraid, but also the boy who found his courage.  See I told you you could have guessed it.  But if you want to find out how he gets his courage then I highly recommend reading this book.  This is another short one for those of you who are long book phobic or just really busy and like the idea of a book you can finish quickly.

As I've mentioned several times earlier I spent my summer working at PSU's summer reading camp.  Well it's been over for about 4 weeks now and I thought I was done with it.  Not so.  My group was in charge of making a mural depicting the Arctic Ocean and one of my campers became obsessed with the wandering albatross.  And guess what showed up in Call it Courage...you guessed it the albatross. "Their [Matatu and his dog] only other friend was Kivi, an albatross."

Finding your courage...that's kids stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment