Tuesday, August 23, 2011

It's Funny How Things Work Out

I spent the last several minutes trying to think of a way to say this without sounding super new age-y but it's not happening so I'm just going to come out and say it.  We are all connected and life overlaps in funny ways.  For example, when I was in Greece I went to a teeny tiny international church and met people who attended my church in Grantham, PA.  One of the girls I met at PSU who went to college in Michigan spent her summers working at a camp in Maryland with two of my college roommates.  At the time it just seems like neat coincidences but when you really step back and think about it, it is amazing how things work out.

Kate DiCamillo's The Tale of Despereaux is full of such connections.  I wish I could talk about these connections in more detail but that would ruin the joy of this book.,  DiCamillo emphasizes these connections by focusing on different characters in different sections of the book.  It is so much fun to see all of the connections come together as you read about the different characters.

Along with the amazing connections The Tale of Desperaux has everything you want in a story.  Drama, suspense, betrayal, fascinating characters, murder, plotting, romance, chivalry, and heroism.  I mean really, how can you not want to read a story like that?  Are you intrigued enough now?  Will you be reading this book?

As a side note my edition of this book has the crinkled edges.  I don't know what that is actually called but I love it.  It just makes the book feel better, richer and more readable. It's a little extra perk.

Finding life's connections...that's kids stuff. 

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book. It was a great book to listen to on audiotape.

    ReplyDelete