Monday, December 12, 2016

Muli bwanji

William Kamkwamba and Bryan Mealer wrote a book called The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind.   I LOVED it.  I loved it so much I can't even think of something cute to say or a clever intro  I just want to rave about how much I LOVED this book.  SO much.  SO SO SOO much.  I really really really loved it.  And you should all read it. ASAP.

William grew up in a small village in Malawi. He and his friends love to build things.  William especially has a knack for taking things apart and seeing how they work.  He uses this knowledge to fix things.  Soon William and his friends are fixing radios for other villagers.  But then the famine comes.  Crops die and people are starving.  William's family no longer has the money to send him to school.

But William doesn't give up.  He reads all the science books he can from the local library.  And even though he's not in school anymore he doesn't give up on his dream of bringing electricity to his house.  Using mainly materials found in the junkyard, William is able to build a windmill.  That windmill brings power to his house.   And that's only the beginning.

This book is beautifully written, but it's made even better because this is a true story.  William actually did all of these things.  And I loved being transported back to Africa.  William's tribal language was very similar to what I was learning when in Africa.  Muli bwanji, nshima, the rhythm of the language, the quality of the interactions and the support of the tribe.  This book made me feel...I guess the closest word would be homesick.  I am thrilled that this is a Reading Olympic's book.  Everyone should read this book.

Powering your village...that's kids stuff. 

PS If you want to know more about William's achievements/see how you can help go to movingwindmills.org

No comments:

Post a Comment