Thursday, December 8, 2016

Comme Ci, Comme Ca

I took four years of french.  Three years in high school and one in college.  Comme ci, comme ca (ok or so-so) is one of the few phrases that I remember.  To be fair, my teachers were excellent, I've just never been good with languages.

The fairies, excuse me, samll persons with wings in Ellen Booream's Small Persons With Wings speak multiple languages, French being one of them, so it seemed appropriate to dig up whatever remnants of my French knowledge were left floating around my brain.  And, I have to be honest, comme ci comme ca was the perfect expression to remember because, for me, this book was just so-so.

Mellie is 13 years old and has been teased at school ever since she told everyone that she had fairies living with her at home (which was true but who would actually believe that).  Add a little extra 'fluff' and you've got yourself the nickname Fairy Fat.  When her grandfather dies and her family moves to his inn it seems like the perfect opportunity to start over.

Until fairies take over the inn and Mellie finally learns why her family interacts with fairies when no one else does. It sounds exactly like the kind of book I would love.  But I didn't.  I actually found it quite hard to keep reading, I just never engaged with this book.  It didn't grab my attention and pull me into the story.  But it wasn't terrible...it was just...so-so.

Fairies...that's kids stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment