Sunday, December 4, 2016

Helmet?

Growing up, my mom had one rule that was absolutely non-negotiable.  This rule applied not just to my brother and I but also to any neighborhood kid who came over.  The rule: You must always wear a helmet.  Doesn't matter if it's a skateboard, scooter, or bike; if you are riding something you will wear a helmet.  She would send my best friend back to her house to get a helmet if she came without one.

As a kid it was a little annoying, one more step between me and my bike; not to mention it was embarrassing when she sent my friends back home.  As a grown up (well more grown up than I was) I see the wisdom in her decision and I can recognize she made the right call. Barbara Park's Nick Harte Was Here only reinforces that.

You see Phoebe's brother, Mick Harte died because his bike skidded on a rock and he flew off hitting his head.  If he had been wearing a helmet, he would have lived.  This isn't a spoiler, you learn on page one that Mick has died.  As it says, "So this isn't the kind of book where you meet the main character and you get to like him real well and then he dies at the end."

This is a story of grief.  It's not an uplifting story or a fun read, but it's an important story.  The more I work middle schoolers the more I am convinced that they need a variety of rich texts and authentic stories to draw from.  No, it isn't a fun happy book.  But it's a good one.

Wearing your helmet...that's kids stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment