Friday, September 2, 2016

There's More?

Longtime readers of this blog will know that I am a big Rick Riordan.  I love how he blends mythology with new, modern characters.  So when I saw his name on this years Reading Olympic's list I got pretty excited.  I got even more excited when I realized this is the start of a new series.

The Sword of Summer is the first in a new series Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard.  These books are based on Nordic myths.  I have to admit I was very unfamiliar with these stories beyond a superficial knowledge of Thor and his hammer.  After reading The Sword of Summer I am eager to brush up on my Nordic myths.

Magnus Chase has a bit more grit then some of Riordan's other leads.  Percy Jackson, the Kane siblings, they aren't goody two-shoes by any stretch but they are basically good kids.  Magnus Chase is a little bit of a bad guy.  Being a bit of a goody-two shoes myself, I had trouble relating to Magnus but I think many of my students are going to love this character.  Magnus has been homeless for the past several years and he has created this eclectic friend group.  Once he finds out he is a demi-god his circle of friends gets even weirder.

Also Riordan did a bit of a name drop and it turns out Magnus is related to a character we are already quite familiar with.  I can't wait to see how this story develops.

Making the most of life...that's kids stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment