Friday, January 22, 2016

Speak Truth

There are some books that change you.  Laurie Halse Anderson's Speak was one of those books for me.  I remember reading this book when I was in high school-and this is definitely a book for older adolescents (end of 8th grade would be the earliest I would recommend it), and I remember feeling so sad when I read it.

But speak is not a sad book-it's a real book.  Melinda sees high school for what it is and records several variations of "the ten lies they tell you in high school."  She has a strong sense of who she is and as a result has a hard time finding where she fits...especially since all of her old friends are no longer speaking to her.  You see Melinda called the cops and busted a party over the summer.  Now nobody wants to talk to her.

But why would witty, sarcastic, authentic Melinda call the cops?  You can clearly feel her inner tension throughout the story.  Now, as usual, I won't give any spoilers but I will tell you that eventually you get the whole story.  And the whole story changes your perspective not just on Melinda but on life.  Yup, it's that deep and it's that good.

Also this book emphasizes how critically important arts education is.  I teach reading, it's super important, it teaches you to be a critical thinker and a good citizen. But it is arts education that helps you be a good person-it speaks to your soul.

Speaking truth...that's kids stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment