Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Old Standby

There are some genres and/or authors that feel like an old standby.  Even if I don't connect with a character or feel gripped by the story there is still something I can find to like-they are always somehow worth reading.  Historical fiction is one of those genres.  No matter what I can find something I like.  And Gary Paulsen is one of those authors.  His books have gotten many of my students, particularly the males, interested in reading for pleasure and that is no small feat.

Needless to say I was excited when Woods Runner a work of historical fiction by Gary Paulsen appeared on the Reading Olympics list.  It did not disappoint.  Samuel is certainly an admirable character, even if he isn't someone I immediately connected with.  Samuel is a young boy who has become skilled at living in the forest, more skilled than anyone else in his small settlement.  A boy who must become a man when his parents are captured by British soldiers during the American Revolution.

What I especially like about this book is that Paulsen has interspersed little snippets of historical fact to supplement the story.  I like that they are kept separate because many times I find it tiresome to break up the story.   But Paulsen manages to keep the history to small tidbits.  Just enough to give you a little background and help you understand the story just a little bit better.  

And finally I just had to share this line.  It is found towards the end of the story so if you're planning on reading this book you might want to stop reading here...even though I don't really consider it a spoiler.  "I'll distract the guard; you take a brick and hit him over the head.' 'That's your plan?'....'Hard,' Abner added.  'Hit him over the head hard.'" 

Revolution...that's kids stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment