Tuesday, September 8, 2015

History is Personal

The third book my class will be reading this year is Mildred D. Taylor's Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry.  It won the Newbery and I blogged about it here as part of my Newbery project.

My favorite part about this book is that it takes something that can often feel abstract and distant and makes it feel personal.  As a modern, white, female I can't imagine what it feels like to be of color growing up in the deep South during the height of segregation.  The only way I can access that and try to understand is through story.  Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry tells that story.  It gives me something to relate to.

One of the best parts about teaching middle school is that it's the time when students have matured enough that they are able to handle more difficult discussions.  They are able to look at themes like racism and segregation and talk openly and honestly about it.  I can't wait to see what this book looks like from a students' perspective and I am so excited to see their maturity come out in the midst of our discussions.

Talking about the hard stuff...that's kids stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment