Thursday, September 17, 2015

Great Stories

One of the hardest parts of writing this blog is deciding what books to blog about.  When I don't have access to Reading Olympic's books or Newbery Winners (they're not in the library, someone else has checked them out, etc) I typically stare at my book collection waiting for inspiration to strike.

Then it hits me.  Roald Dahl!  I don't think I have every blogged about him, but he is one of my favorite authors.  I LOVED all of his books when I was a kid and I still love them today.  Even though these books are a little older now, they are still great stories-and that's why people love them.

Roald Dahl's The BFG is the perfect example of Dahl's wonderful stories.  The premise is slightly fantastic ,but still close enough to real life that you can almost believe it.  A giant snatches young orphan Sophie right out of her window one night and carries her away to giant country.  Luckily this particular giant is not a human guzzling giant, he is the Big Friendly Giant.

Instead of devouring humans, the BFG gives them dreams-good dreams, of course.  Oh yes, dreams are living things that the BFG captures, labels, and blows into the bedrooms of lucky boys and girls.  Sophie and the BFG hit it off right away and they could have lived quite happily in giant country except for the fact that there were a whole bunch of other giants who were the man guzzling kind.  Sophie couldn't watch those giants run off and eat humans every night, so she and the BFG come up with a plan to stop them.

Working with giants...that's kids stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment