Tuesday, August 18, 2015

It's good

Some books aren't my taste but I can see how someone would like them.  Lisa Yee's Stanford Wong Flunks Big-Time is one of those books.  It was a fairly entertaining story and Stanford, the main character, was instantly likable.  Stanford has just finished sixth grade (except for that whole flunking English part), is great at basketball, not so great at English (the subject not the language), and experiencing his first crush.

I think what put it outside of my taste was that I had so little to relate to.  I have never been a middle school boy (obviously).  I have never excelled at sports (if you've ever spent any time with me that would also be obvious).  I did excel at English and I don't remember any stand out crushes during my middle school years (that came later).

However, there aren't a ton of books that highlight a main character struggling with something academic.  Especially not something so mundane as English class.  And that makes this book a must have on my shelf.  This year I am only teaching learning support reading.  All of these students come to my class already believing they are bad at reading so why bother trying.  This book gives them something to relate to.

Summer school...that's kids stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment