Friday, August 14, 2015

Elementary...

I must begin this post with a confession.  I have never read the Sherlock Holmes books. I have watched a lot of tv adaptations (thing Elementary-on CBS, and Sherlock on the BBC), and yes, I know that's not good enough.  You must know this about me because it most definitely influences my thoughts on Shane Peacock's Eye of the Crow. 

You see Eye of the Crow is about the boy Sherlock Holmes solving his first case.  Was it an excellent mystery, yes. Is it how I envisioned the young Sherlock Homes, no.  Admittedly I have only television adaptations to go off of, but this is not how I pictured a young Sherlock Holmes.  And therein lies the danger of picking such a beloved subject for a new series.

I must also note that this is the first in a series about the young Sherlock Holmes.  I have not read other books in this series but I would be interested to see if Sherlock develops more into the character I am familiar with as the series progresses.

I would love to see how fans of the original Sherlock Holmes book series respond to this book.  But I am more curious to see how someone, especially a young adult, who has no experience with Sherlock Holmes (the books or the movies/shows) would respond to this book.  For the latter group I think this would be an excellent place to start and hopefully propel them into reading more.  The suspense, the drama, the attention to detail are all there.  If you are a mystery fan, this would be a good book for you.

Solving the crime...that's kids stuff.  

PS if you fit into either of the two categories described above, please leave a comment describing what you thought about the book.


No comments:

Post a Comment