Friday, December 12, 2014

Go Find It

Megan Frazer Blakemore's The Water Castle has to be one of the most realistic "fantasy" books I have ever read.  I think that's why I can't quite decide how I feel about it.  It was a compelling story, splendidly written, and the tale weaved between the past and the present (something I love).  All of these facts make it seem like I should love it; so why do I feel decidedly neutral?

This cover is different than the one
 on the book I read.
 This cover is much better! 
The book centers around the Appledore family and their quest for the Fountain of Youth.  Sounds like it should be fantasy, right?  But it isn't.  In the present day settings Ephraim attends a regular school (albeit all of the students are gifted), in a regular town (albeit one full of history where people live abnormally long lives).  His friendships are usual (except they are the first steps to overcoming old feuds), and his house is just a house (a bit quirky perhaps, and it has all those hidden rooms...).

So as you can see this book isn't quite real but it isn't quite fantasy. Notice I didn't describe the historic Appledore's also featured in the book.  To do so would give way too much away.  You'll have to read the book yourself.

This is a book I enjoyed reading, but not one I couldn't put down.  It walks a strange balance between the past and the present, between reality and myth.  Something about that I just didn't love.  Will I recommend it to students, absolutely.  Was it worth reading, of course.  Is it worthy of being on the Reading Olympics list, indeed it is.  It just wasn't one of my favorite.  And that's OK.  Not every book is a favorite.  And just because I didn't love it doesn't mean that you won't.

Searching out the myth...that's kids stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment