Monday, December 15, 2014

Dovey Coe

Readers of this blog will know I'm a sucker for a catchy title.  Unfortunately, all of the great titles I came up with for Frances O'Roark Dowell's Dovey Coe were spoilers.  And if you read this blog you will also know that I am very anti-spoiler.

Of course by me saying all of this you have probably figured out that there is some kind of twist in Dovey Coe.  Well, there is-but there's no way I'm going to tell you what it is.  To prevent any more spoilers I'll give you the summary from the back of the book:

"My name is Dovey Coe and I reckon it don't matter if you like me or not.  I'm here to lay the record straight, to let you know them folks saying I done a terrible thing are liars.  I am to prove it, too.  I hated Parnell Caraway as much as the next person, but I didn't kill him."  

In the reading class I co-teach we are talking about flashback and foreshadowing.  While flashback is easy to spot I have a terrible time finding foreshadowing.  My husband seems to always be able to guess the end of the story where I always feel completely surprised.  Dovey Coe would be an excellent book to use when teaching foreshadowing.  Can you spot it? 

No spoilers....that's kids stuff.  

PS This is also a Reading Olympics book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment