Sunday, July 31, 2011

What do You Want to Do?

I have pretty much finished my summer class, all that remains is one last meeting with the professor (and there was great rejoicing throughout the land). But I have three more days at work before I can enjoy what's left of summer vacation.  The problem is that work only lasts from 4-8.  I am suddenly faced with the problem of lots of spare time.  So what do I want to do with it?

Lucinda (funny side note, I know a girl named Lucinda and she's pretty much exactly the same as the Lucinda in this book) from Ruth Sawyer's Roller Skates faces this same problem.  At the age of ten she finds herself a temporary orphan.  Her parents have gone to Italy for a year in hopes of improving her mothers health and Lucinda is sent to live with Miss Peters and Miss Nettie.

Lucinda's temporary guardians realize she is an unusual girl, full of spirit and so they grant her a considerable amount of freedom.  Well when you are an unusual girl full of spirit you find adventures.  Roller Skates is all about the adventures Lucinda has and the eclectic group of friends she makes along the way.  It is impossible to read this book and not fall in love with Lucinda.  Go ahead, try it...I dare you.

Having adventures, making friends...that's kids stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment