Monday, July 25, 2011

Too Hot to Live

Up to this point I have refrained from mentioning the horribleness of the recent heat wave here on the blog (though I voiced ample complaints to anyone unlucky enough to be talking to me), but when I read Lois Lenski's Strawberry Girl I knew I had to say something.  Listen to how they describe the heat, "At dinner Pa scolded the children for leaving their weeding.  When Ma announced that it was to hot to live, let alone work in the field, he said nothing more."  Too hot to live-and that's all I have to say about that.

Lois Lenski writes all historical fiction regional pieces-meaning she picks a specific region, at a specific time period and writes a story that captures that region.  Even though I've only read Strawberry Girl, I can attest that she does an excellent job at this.  This is how she describes the people who lived in Florida, back when Florida was still the frontier, "Their life was replete with drama, and being people of character and dignity, they lived it, and still live it, with vigor."  How can you not want to read a book about people like that?

I am getting 2 masters of education so I'm always interested to see how teachers are portrayed.  This might be one of my favorite, and most terrifying portrayals, "'Will they hurt teacher?' the children asked. 'I hope not,' said Birdie, 'Teacher's a good fighter too.'"  Teachers a good fighter too! Can you imagine putting that on a resume: Sarah Plumadore, M.ED Curriculum & Instruction, M ED Special Education, BA Music, Good fighter.  That's crazy!

Strawberry Girl is a fascinating look into the lives of the early Florida settlers, especially the life of the strawberry girl herself, Birdie.  It has everything you want out of a frontier story, drama, neighborly disputes, working the land, town and city folk, and success.

Surviving the heat, being a good fighter...that's kids stuff. 


PS If you are interested in reading this book, you definitely should.  But if you want to look it up online make sure you search Strawberry Girl, Lois Lenski.  Otherwise your search results will be...well lets just say not as wholesome as you would hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment