Friday, July 29, 2011

Never Too Old


Merry-go-round at Hershey Park 

This book has one of my all time favorite lines. "'I'm never going to be too old for it," said Garnet. 'All my life, whenever I see a merry-go-round I'm going to ride on it, and when I have children I'm going to ride with them."  This is exactly how I feel!! I LOVE merry-go-rounds, like a lot-more than the normal person likes merry-go-rounds.  The riding with my children part may not happen but I always take the time to ride with some of my young cousins.


Merry-go-round at the Redford Picnic





Where is this amazing quote from, you're asking.  From Elizabeth Enright's Thimble Summer.  This charming book is all about one magical summer in Garnets life and it is just full of all the wonders of childhood.  The mailboxes at the end of the road aren't just mailboxes they are, "think old women in crooked sunbonnets, gossiping beside the road."

And Garnet has all kinds of adventures from hitchhiking a whole 18 miles away to accidentally getting locked into the library for a night.  I must admit I am rather jealous of that adventure.  Think of all the awesome stuff there is to see in a library.

All in all this was the perfect book to read on a hot Friday afternoon.  It has all of the lighthearted charm you are looking for after a long week, and it reminds you how happy life can be.

Riding merry-go-rounds...that's kids stuff. 






No comments:

Post a Comment