Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda

I don't believe it when people tell me they don't regret anything.  I think if we are honest with ourselves there is always something we wished we had done differently, or just as likely, something we didn't do that we wish we had.  Kimberly Brubaker Bradley's The War that Saved my Life shows what I think is one of the cruelest things imaginable, Ada's mother regrets having children.

She especially regrets having Ada since Ada has an ugly deformed foot.  Ada is forced to stay home, hidden away in one room.  At first it's ok because her little brother Jamie is there too, but when Jamie leaves to go to school Ada is left alone in her misery.  Until the day Jamie reports that all of the kids are going on the train out of the city because the war is coming.

Ada seizes her chance and that next day she and Jamie are on that train headed towards a new life.  They end up living with Susan Smith who never wanted kids and isn't particularly interested in caring for Ada and Jamie.  Is this any better than living with a mother who regrets them?  I mean it's called The War that Saved my Life so you can probably guess it's better...but the way it unfolds is just wonderfully told.

I loved reading this book.  The story was beautifully crafted and well told.  I especially liked this quote from Susan, " I don't know what to say...I don't want to tell you a lie, and I don't know the truth."  Such honesty is exactly what these kids needed.

Winning the war..that's kids stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment