Friday, January 13, 2017

Irony

So in case it's been awhile since you've been in a reading/english class, irony is when something happens (or is said) that is different from what you expected to happen.

Take Nikki Grimes Planet Middle School.  First, the title (I know, I know don't judge a book blah blah) it just seems like it's going to be silly and childish.  Second, it's poems...and we all know how I feel about poems.  Third the main character Joylin is a serious tomboy, she loves to play basketball-and she's good too.  That's all great but I'm pretty much the opposite of that so it could be hard to relate.

Irony! I loved it.   I mean I'm still not a huge fan of poems-I probably would have loved it more if it were prose but the story was great.  And though I'm the farthest thing from a tomboy, Joylin and I still have things in common.  Exhibit A: we hate math.

"End of the day, 
I lay my head
on my desk, 
faking the migraine
I'm certain
is on its way. 
Imaginary numbers? 
Come on!
Who dreams up this stuff? 
It's enough to make
anybody ill. 
I practically scream for joy
when the bell rings."

If I had to pick one good thing about poems it would be that you can read them quickly.  I was treated to a delightful story that could be finished in one sitting.  You know it's good because I could re-read it and pick up on new things.  It has depth. 

Finding your style...that's kids stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment