Monday, June 20, 2016

Not What You Expected

I have to admit that while I was never anti comic book I never really liked them either.  But, in fairness, I had never actually read any.  I thought the whole medium was just superheroes and villains and that's not really my thing.

But now that I've actually read a few it's not what I expected at all.  This medium has just as much diversity as any other.  And the stories, at lest the few that I have read, challenge societal norms and give our heroes or heroines new roles.  It's very cool.

Take, for example Lumberjanes: Beware the Kitten Holy (by Stevenson, Ellis, Watters, and Allen).  The Lumberjanes are a girl scout-ish organization but one group of girls takes it to another level.  They sneak out of their cabins and...well depending on your point of view they either break every camp rule under the sun OR have an awesome adventure.

The only negative is that this is a series.  Why is that a negative? You love series, right?  Well, yes I do...but it means this one ends in a cliffhanger.  

Challenging the norms...that's kids stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment