Thursday, June 16, 2016

Next Year

It isn't fair that the end of the school year means less and less work for students but more and more work for teachers.  It isn't fair that teachers need to start planning for next year before packing up their classrooms for the summer when all they want to do is spend the little time they have left with the kids they will soon be saying goodbye to.

But in the spirit of always moving forward today I am going to write about a new book I will be using with my classes next year.  Tolkien's The Hobbit.  "Woah," you say, "hold up a minute.  The Hobbit in seventh grade, that seems like a lot."  Well you would be right.   Which is why my class will be reading the graphic novel version.

First of all, as soon as you look at the book you realize the artwork is just stunning.  It completely captures the mood of Middle Earth.  Secondly, it keeps all of the intrigue and drama of the original story without any of the tedious description (sorry Tolkien).

In it's original form this is a story I had to work to get through (though I did love Lord of the Rings-the book, to be clear); but in graphic novel form it was a story I couldn't put down.  I am hoping that next years kiddos will feel the same way!

Perhaps this is the start of me getting into comics...

Old stories new ways...that's kids stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment