Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Where do we go from here?

The hardest books to blog about are the ones that just felt average, the books that I didn't really have strong feelings about.  These weren't bad books by any stretch, they just weren't my favorites. These are the books that when I try to decide why I didn't love them, I can't really come up with an answer.

 Michael Buckley's The Sisters Grimm was one of these books.  I finished the book and thought, "ok, that was fine."  I definitely didn't waste my time reading it, but it's not a book I can rave about. Sabrina and Daphne Grimm have to go live with their grandmother (who they thought was dead) after the mysterious disappearance of their parents.  Things just get stranger from there.  Their grandmother makes food in all kinds of colors, she lives with the weirdest guy the sisters have ever met, and the house has a rather suspicious locked room they are forbidden to enter.

  The Sisters Grimm features a strong female lead, elements of fantasy, and a new twist on fairy tales(not a spoiler-you should read the name Grimm and automatically think fairy tales).  So why didn't I love it?

I think the book felt a little bit young.  The books I typically blog about here are geared towards 7-9th graders (ish, each reader is unique so I really really don't like assigning books a grade level), while this book felt better suited for 4th-5th graders.  Still, it was an engaging story and I would recommend it for anyone who likes the classic fairy tales but is looking for a bit more suspense.  This book is part of a series-The Fairy Tale Detectives- and I would be interested to see how the story develops.

Solving the mystery...that's kids stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment