Thursday, April 2, 2015

Throwback Thursday!

This weeks throwback goes to a book I got in my Easter basket years ago.  I think my parents choose it for me because the main character and I share the same name.  Well, that and it's a fabulous story.  The book is Patricia MacLachlan's Sarah Plain and Tall.  

Longtime readers of this blog may remember I wrote about it here, because apart from being a charming story, it is also a Newbery winner.  We were first assigned the book in 5th grade then I was given my own copy that year for Easter.  (Side note-books are one of the best Easter basket stuffers if you do that sorta thing).  

Sarah Plain and Tall tells the story of Sarah who answers Jacob's advertisement for a wife.  Once our modern sensibilities get over the fact that she was a mail order bride you can relax and enjoy the story.  It's the best kind of romance in that it is subtle and slow.  Sarah and Jacob don't just fall in love with each other, Sarah falls in love with the children Caleb and Anna.  Together they become a new family and you can see  more of their journey in the rest of the series!!

Remembering a romance...that's kids stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment