Thursday, November 10, 2016

Survivor

Confession time.  I am  HUGE Reality T.V. fan.  I know, I know it's not quality programming, it's mindless entertainment, etc etc.  But what can I say?  I love it!

Growing up one of my favorite shows was Survivor.  I loved the idea of mastering the elements, surviving off the grid with nothing but your wits and and simple tools.  Sherry Shahan's Death Mountain reminds me that to really master the elements and survive off the grid you need skills.  Skills I definitely don't have.

Through a series of missteps Erin ends up hiking in the Sierra Nevada Mountains with Mae, who is basically a stranger to her-Mae and her brother picked up Erin when she was hitchhiking.  A thunderstorm pops up and suddenly the girls are cut off from everyone and way off the trail.

Luckily, Erin has camped a lot with her grandmother and knows some basic survival skills, like how to build shelter, read a map, and make a fire.  Unfortunately, their supplies are limited to a few snack foods, a handful of matches, and a map woefully lacking in detail.

Will Erin and Mae be able to make it out?  I'm definitely not going to tell you (hello, spoilers!), but this book is absolutely worth a read.  It's the perfect size, I could read it in one sitting (and you're gonna want to), there's enough detail to make me feel like I am also lost in the mountains but not so much that you would need to be a survival expert to keep up.  And, don't worry, there's so much more than just hiking.

Outwit, outlast...that's kids stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment