Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Can't Get Enough

As most people know I am a HUGE Harry Potter Fan.  I re-read the books every summer and I have blogged about them multiple times.  If that's not enough to prove it to you, take a look at the lanyard I wear everyday at school.

So when the librarian at my school announced that she had new short stories by J.K. Rowling I ran down there and checked it out before the kids got to it (don't worry I plan on returning the book in a timely manner so all the kids can get a chance too-that's just good library etiquette).

The book is The Tales of Beedle the Bard and it combines two of my absolute favorite things, fairy tales and the wizarding world.  While muggles are taught Hansel and Gretel, wizard children grow up hearing The Wizard and the Hopping Pot and The Warlock's Hairy Heart.  Of course the last tale is the most famous, The Tale of the Three Brothers (critical information for the final Harry Potter book).

These tales are exactly what you would think them to be.  Short, masterfully written, entertaining yet thought provoking fables.  What makes them even better is the premise that these have been translated from ancient runes into modern English by none other than Hermione Granger.  As a bonus Dumbledores notes on each of the tales are also provided.

If you're also a Harry Potter fan and are looking for a quick afternoon read (say it's, I don't know, a holiday weekend?) I definitely recommend The Tales of Beedle the Bard. 

Learning from tales...that's kids stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment