Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Back to Reality

We all know I'm not the biggest fan of non-fiction.  It's just not my preferred genre.  And I certainly don't want to read a non-fiction book about the building of the atomic bomb right in the middle of the holiday season.  

For all of these reasons I was dreading reading Steve Sheinkin's Bomb: The Race to Build-and Steal-the World's most Dangerous Weapon.  Even with the librarian's assurances that this was an excellent book, I was sure that I would hate it.  

Instead I found myself unable to put the book down.  It starts with a man named Harry Gold frantically trying to destroy evidence before the FBI agents show up at his door.  I have never been so engaged in a non-fiction book.  I mean, I know how the story ends, but I will admit I was woefully ignorant of the details.  

Sheinkin does an amazing job telling the story of the bomb from all perspectives.  We see what the American's are doing, the Soviets, the Germans and the British. Bomb made me think about all the different aspects related to the Manhattan project-things I had never thought of before.  

 I didn't even think about all the spying that was happening during this time.  Or the mixed emotions all the scientist must have felt.  On the one hand they had made amazing advancements in the areas of physics, on the other hand they felt responsible for the massive destruction and loss of human life caused by the bomb.  

Some may argue that this type of information is not appropriate for middle schoolers but I would argue this is exactly the type of information they should be reading.  As technology continues to expand at baffling rates they need to know the human cost, to see all sides of the issue, to truly understand the horrors of war.  I cannot recommend this book highly enough!  Seriously, I'm buying a couple of copies for my class and passing them out tomorrow.  

Knowing the costs...that's kids stuff.   

No comments:

Post a Comment