Wednesday, November 25, 2015

It's Just Nice

I love many types of books but I find myself drawn to certain types of books at certain times of the year.  For example, over the summer when my workload is less I find myself craving dense fantasy'-books that create a whole new world with a myriad of characters.  Once the school year starts I find myself searching for more realistic fiction or even non-fiction, books that my students can relate too, books that I could recommend for them.  Now that the holiday season is upon us I find myself looking for books that are nice.  Books with a happy ending, an uncomplicated yet engaging story line, and just a touch of romance. For this reason Little Women is a book I re-read every year over Christmas break.

Gail Carson Levine's Fairest is one of these nice books. This week was book fair week at school and Fairest was on book fair special for just $1.99.  I noticed that Levine had also written Ella Enchanted, a book I remember loving when I was younger, so I decided to buy the book.  I am so glad that I did.

Fairest tells the story of Aza, a girl who is a bit plumper than her sisters and would never be descried as pretty (unfortunately, many call her ugly).  But Aza can sing.  In a kingdom that prizes singing (side note-I want to move to that kingdom immediately) Aza is praised for her voice but as the adopted daughter of humble innkeepers, Aza will never rise.

Or will she?  A Duchess is a frequent visitor to the inn and when her normal companion falls ill Aza must accompany the Duchess to the King's wedding.  There people hear Aza's amazing voice and her life changes dramatically.  Filled with royalty, castles, grand singing's (yes, the whole town gets together to sing songs together-I'm seriously moving there), romance, goblins and ogres Fairest is a delightful read perfect fora  cozy holiday.

Discovering your true beauty...that's kids stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment