Friday, July 31, 2015

And the Goblet of Fire

The annual Harry Potter Summer Re-Read continues with Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.  The dust jacket describes this book as, "the pivotal fourth novel in the seven-part tale of Harry Potter's training as a wizard and coming of age."  That's exactly what this novel is, pivotal. Warning this post has spoilers.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione aren't children anymore, a fact that becomes painfully obvious when they all try to find dates for the Yule Ball.  Those scenes reminded me of the vibe around school when everyone is trying to find a date to the 8th grade dance.  But this novel is also pivotal in that there is more focusing on the wizarding world outside of Hogwarts.

Towards the beginning of the novel we have the Quidditch World cup, our first chance to see a collection of adult wizards.  There is also an added emphasis on what kinds of jobs are available for wizards once they finish school.  We have heard hints of jobs at the Ministry of Magic but this is the first time we get to see more of the scope of this enormous organization.  But that's just the beginning, you could teach at a wizarding school-and there's more schools than just Hogwarts, work with dragons, work for the bank (in ways that seem much more exciting then the bank tellers of our world), become an auror, play quidditch professionally, or even open a joke shop.

It made me wonder what would I do if I was in the Harry Potter universe.  To be honest, I didn't need to think about it long at all, I knew almost instantly I would teach at Hogwarts.  I love being a teacher, Professor McGonagall is one of my favorite characters (and teaching idols), and I love Hogwarts.  The question remains what subject would I teach?  History of Magic has an appeal as does charms.  I couldn't teach transfiguration because I would want to teach alongside McGonagall not take her job.  What would your job be?

Finding a date...that's kids stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment