Monday, February 2, 2015

I know a young boy who swallowed a...

When I first read the title of this Jack Gantos story I thought it was some kind of inside joke.  But it turns out the title Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key is in fact a literal representation of events in the story.

Joey didn't mean to swallow the key, but sometimes he just feels "wired" and he just does whatever flies into his head without stopping to think.  The book is written in a style that gives the reader an insight into Joey's brain.  The syntax flies back and forth making the reader feel "wired" as well.

As a special ed teacher it was hard for me to not read this book through that lens.  It was heartbreaking to hear Joey's account and how he felt teachers viewed him.  This would be a great book to help other students understand difference.  It can also help some teachers realize sometimes that student who always seems to be messing up really can't help it.

I wouldn't say this was my favorite book but it was a joy to read and I will definitely be recommending it to many people.

Gaining Understanding...that's kids stuff.

PS I just learned Joey Pigza has his own series.  I can't wait to see what he does next!

No comments:

Post a Comment