Friday, January 30, 2015

Strange Stuff

My favorite undergraduate class was a J-term course I took for fun called, "Children's Literature."  The professor was a spunky woman who encouraged all of us to make the books as fun as possible.  We had book talk days where we completely redecorated the classroom and came up with a myriad of activities to supplement the book.  One of the books we read was David Almond's Skellig. 

I remember thinking it was strange. When I saw it come up on this years Reading Olympic's list I figured I should probably re-read it since my only remembrance was, 'it was strange.'  Well I re-read it and I still can't shake the feeling that it is a strange book.  It is mostly realistic fiction with just the smallest touch of fantasy.  Almond also leaves the reader constantly guessing, very few things are made clear. I think this is why the book was so unsettling for me.

Skellig is the story of ten-year old Michael who has a new house, a new sister and a new maybe friend (maybe friend because for one thing it's a she and for another she is a little strange).  But Michael soon learns there are many strange things in his new life so he needs a strange friend like Mina.

Even though this book wasn't one of my favorites, I already have a couple of students in mind who might really enjoy it.  Sometimes a does of strange is what you need.

Embracing the strange...that's kids stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment