Thursday, February 19, 2015

Getting Lost

Earlier this week we had a snow day.  Snow day's are the perfect time to curl up on the couch with a coup of coffee, a warm quilt and a book you can get lost in. Castaways of the Flying Dutchman is just such a book.

Brian Jacques is perhaps best known for the Redwall series (also excellent books-my husbands favorites!), but Castaways of the Flying Dutchman turned out to be my favorite Brian Jacques book.  It tells the story of Neb and his dog Denmark.  They begin their journey as stowaways on the Flying Dutchman.  When the ship is cursed the angel gives Neb and Denmark a reprieve because they are pure of heart.  Like the rest of the crew they will never age, but Neb and his dog are allowed to leave the ship and travel from village to village offering help to those who need it.  That's where things start to get interesting.

I can honestly say that this was the perfect "snow day" book.  But I think the highest praise I can give this book comes from one of the Reading Olympics team members.  We were discussing what books on the list people had read and he had read Castaways of the Flying Dutchman he stood up and raved about the book to the rest of his teammates.  His speech inspired the rest of the team, and myself, to give this book a try.  Anytime an eighth grade student, especially a boy, raves about a book it immediately goes on my must read list.

This book deserved the praise.  Neb is the type of character you can't help but root for and feel immediately connected to, as a dog lover I enjoyed being able to hear the dogs thoughts, and I loved that the boys traveled through different time periods.  An excellent read.

Getting lost in a book...that's kids stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment