Friday, November 20, 2015

In the Lead

Some of you may remember that my favorite Reading Olympic's book from last year was Joan Bauer's Hope Was Here. If you're not familiar with that book read my post on it here then go read the book. Seriously go read it.  You won't regret it-then come back and finish this post.

Now that you've all read (and loved) hope was here we can talk about another Joan Bauer book Almost Home.  This is a 2016 Reading Olympics book and it just might be my favorite of this year...I'll let you know once I finish the list.

Almost Home has 3 components that make for an excellent book.  First, a captivating main character.  I love Sugar (and yes that's her real name). She is resilient and insightful, courageous and inspiring.  She never lets life keep her down.  From the very first page I am connected with her and rooting for her.

Second, the book is real.  It doesn't talk down to you and it doesn't shy away from hard subjects, like deadbeat dads and homelessness.  It's authentic and therefore believable.

Finally, and arguably most importantly, there's a puppy.  Shush is just about the cutest sweetest lil' puppy on the planet (don't judge me that's how everyone gets around puppies).  You just have to love him.

I even like the poems that are included in this book-and that's saying something.  Seriously, if you want a great read go get Almost Home.  

Finding your way home...that's kids stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment