Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Who Gets You?

Have you ever been with a person and no matter how poorly you explain yourself they understand because that person just gets you?  I think this happens a lot with family, especially siblings.  My brother and I understand each other because we were raised the same way, we share countless experiences that shaped who we are today and so even if we get each other.  I can predict how he will react to something, and he can sense how I'm feeling.  We look out for each other, we encourage each other, and we know whenever we're together we're gonna have fun.
Me and my brother
So it came as no surprise to me that Sara in Betsy Byars' The Summer of the Swans understood her brother.  She  knew what he was thinking and she took care of him. Now Sara's brother became very ill when they were younger and never fully recovered.  Many believe he has mental retardation.  So Sara is much more protective of her brother.  The wonderful thing about this book was even though Charlie never spoke, Sara still got him-she understood her brother.  
Yes, this book is about more than just Sara and Charlie.  It is about Sara growing up, her desire to fit in, her rapidly changing moods and tastes and her first little romance.  But in my opinion the thing that makes this book great is the way Sara interacts with Charlie and the way Charlie adores Sara.  Their relationship is so tender and it is a joy to read. It is the way siblings are supposed to be.

Loving your brother...that's kids stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment