Sunday, June 5, 2011

Layers-Like an Onion

First of all I would be remiss if I did not mention I LOVE the name Stanley Yelnats.  People who know me well can testify that I am slightly obsessed with palindromes (yeah those things that are the same forwards and backwards).  For example this morning my alarm was set not for 7:40 (how boring) but for 7:37 because-you guessed it, that time is the same forwards and backwards.  But enough about my unusual habits.   As you may have guessed Stanley Yelnats is the main character in Louis Sachar's Holes. 


What I love about Holes, besides the amazinginly wonderful name of the main character, is that this story is layered. There are multiple story lines form all different eras and places with a rich variety of characters that all come together for one of the most satisfying endings ever written.  In the book Stanley is wrongly accused of stealing a pair of sneakers and is sent to Camp Green Lake-a camp for troubled boys.  Camp sounds great but its really just a huge plot of land in the desert, that used to be a lake, where all of the boys dig holes.

Stanley thinks he is sent there because of the curse brought upon his family by his no good dirty rotten pig stealing great great grandfather.  He then goes on to say, "A lot of people don't believe in curses.  A lot of people don't believe in yellow-spotted lizards either, but if one bites you it doesn't make a difference whether you believe in it or not." Cursed or not Stanley's family did have some pretty rotten luck yet, "despite their awful luck they had always remained hopeful."  That's why Stanley is such an endearing character-his situation is pitiable but he always has hope.

At camp Stanley starts teaching Zero (that kid who never says anything and everyone else thinks is a weirdo-I'm sure you know the type) how to read and is shocked at how quickly Zero is learning.  "I'm not stupid', Zero said. 'I know everybody thinks I am.  I just don't like answering their questions."  In childhood, even at Camp Green Lake, it's that simple.  If you don't like answering questions don't.  Only adults feel compelled to always answer (or act offended that anyone would dare ask such a thing).

Keeping hope and beating curses...that's kids stuff.


P.S. Holes is also a movie.  If I remember correctly (and its been awhile since I've seen the movie) I think it's a pretty good adaptation.  But hey it's summertime the perfect time to watch a flick.  Read the book  then redbox the movie-let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment