Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Water

I love the water.  My whole life I have been drawn to the water.  When I feel restless or unsettled, water calms me down.  When my husband and I took a vacation on Mackinac Island I felt like my soul was at peace.  To constantly be in sight of the water was heavenly.

So I feel a special connection with Percy Jackson.  His father is god over the seas, so Percy has special powers when it comes to water.  He can see and breath underwater.  He can control the currents. The water heals his injuries and restores his energy.  Finally, Percy is a natural born sailor and he instinctively knows what coordinates he is at anytime he is in the water.

As someone who loves the water, can swim for hours and feels like water restores my energy, it makes me wonder...maybe I'm related to the sea god....

Of course I'm not, and of course this is fantasy.  But that's what the best fantasy books do.  You connect in such a way that just for a minute you wonder...maybe there's something magical about me too...

The Sea of Monsters has all of the things I loved about The Lightening Thief, plenty of references to Greek and Roman myths and monsters, a modernizing of the ancient gods, new heroes and new quests.  It's just a great series.  They are books you enjoy reading and want to read more of.

Finding your magic...that's kids stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment