Monday, April 25, 2016

Oh good, Dragons

Like any good fantasy lover I am always happy when the dragons show up.  They're just the epitome of everything fantasy and, lets be honest, they're really cool.

My husband and I read the first Game of Thrones book together.  Some background-I very clearly love fantasy, I've read a lot of it, my husband is more of a non-fiction kind of guy. Now throughout Game of Thrones there is, in my opinion, some pretty heavy handed foreshadowing cluing me in to the fact that soon there are going to be dragons (which is why I'm not really counting this as a spoiler).  However, the dragons don't actually make an appearance until the last chapter of the book leading me to make the comment, 'It's about time, I've been waiting for dragons since the very beginning."  My husband was shocked that I was able to guess there would be dragons.  Just goes to show you, he is unfamiliar with this whole fantasy realm.

That brings us to the next installment of the Chronicles of Narnia The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. What if someone, like my husband, who has read all the wrong kind of books (those are C.S.Lewis' words not mine-I can appreciate the value of non-fiction, though a big part of me agrees with Lewis) is all of the sudden magically transported....We'll  lets just stop there.

That person would not react well to being magically anything.  But lets take it a step farther and say  they are magically transported into Narnia-a place where animals talk and magic has always existed.  Well that's exactly what happened to Lucy and Edmund's cousin Eustace.  And, having read none of the right books, Eustace was woefully unprepared.  Naturally he got into quite a few scrapes, but don't worry, it's Narnia things always turn right in the end.

And, don't worry, there are dragons.

Becoming better...that's kids stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment