Thursday, March 24, 2016

Stretch it

Stretch-it is a strategy I use sometimes with my students. If their answer isn't developed enough instead of saying their answer is wrong I will say, "stretch it."  This means they have to elaborate on their answer.  In this case I'm using stretch it to stretch out my 'break.'  I was such a big fan of The Thickety, I had to stretch out the story and continue with the next book in the series right away.  

***If you haven't read the Thickety A Path Begins this post will contain spoilers...obviously****

The Thickety The Whispering Woods continues the tale of Kara and her brother Taff.  Once she finds out her father has been replaced by none other than Timoth Clen she and her brother Taff must flee into the dreaded Thickety.  Since Kara has used up her spellbook she doesn't even have her magic to help them.    

The children's fear of the Thickety seems to be confirmed when almost immediately they are caught in a trap.  Of course they escape (our hero's wouldn't get trapped in the very first chapter) only to be confronted by Mary Kettle.  If that name doesn't send shivers down your spine, it should.  Mary Kettle is an evil witch who took the souls of children.  

But perhaps everything isn't as it seems.  Could Mary Kettle actually be their only chance at survival? Do you really need a spellbook to do magic?    Is the Thickety really dangerous?  Is Sodyr the forest demon really evil?  Well, lets not get carried away.  After all sometimes our perceptions are wrong but sometimes they're right.  

I was not disappointed.  Well, that's not entirely true.  My only disappointment is that the third book just came out in February so it is not yet in our library.  

Finding your strength...that's kids stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment